Thursday, November 03, 2005

Banana Trees & Ghost City

Looking back at my town 20 years ago. I was 6 years old. Beside my house there used several banana trees. I could remember how high they were. It was like a mini jungle with it's undergrowth of tall grass and small trees. I used to play around in my own mini jungle. My mother was afraid of snakes and scorpions. But yet, I still play around it.
Now the mini jungle is gone. Make way for a drain and a tarred flat space for cars to park. No, it is not a parking lot. But since nothing was build on it, it turned into a parking lot for some workers and worked opposite my house.
I have been living in my town for 26 years. Haven't really gone out into the wild harsh world there is. I call my town the City of Myth because it is a City that doesn't looks like a City but more like a town. That's the Myth in it. Also, everything that happens in my town, the people in my town and the things in my town are more like a town than a City. But it is officially a City now.
There is a commercial area abandoned by the developer just before New Town. Because the name of the commercial area was given as "______ City" (No,I will not review the name). Because it was abandoned, I call it "Ghost City". And it stays a "Ghost City" until recently. Now people started opening shops in "Ghost City". However, there was a Mall that is still abandoned there. No one even cared. It was left there to rot. And this project only started a few years back. Although now "Ghost City" isn't as ghostly before, I still call it "Ghost City" as there is still many empty lots and also the abandoned Mall.
My town has a few normal SuperMarkets. The abandoned Mall would have served as a stepping stone towards making my town more like a City, but it wasn't to be. My town. A Town called a City.

|